There are thousands of food businesses in NSW who are still yet to complete the NSW Food Safety Supervisor (FSS) course to comply with the FSS requirements set in place back in April 2011. If time or travel is the issue, you have the option of completing the NSW FSS course online! There are no excuses not to complete the required training.
Just to recap, what are the FSS requirements? Food laws in NSW state certain food businesses in the hospitality and retail food service sector must have at least one person employed who is the trained Food Safety Supervisor for the business. It is highly recommended it be a person at the premise on a regular basis and whom has authority over staff such as the owner, manager, supervisor or chef to appropriately and effectively monitor the food safety within the workplace.
What is the NSW FSS course?
The NSW Food Safety Supervisor (FSS) course is made up of two units of competency: Use hygienic practices for food safety SITXFSA101 and Participate in safe food handling practices SITXFSA201. This course is designed for supervisors and managers of food businesses in NSW. The NSW Food Authority introduced this course to help reduce food borne illness in the hospitality and retail food service sectors in NSW and to improve food handler skills and knowledge.
What are the requirements for the NSW FSS Online course?
To be eligible to complete the NSW FSS Online course, you must be currently working in the hospitality industry and have access to a commercial workplace kitchen to complete two out of three assessment tasks. You must also have access to a computer, printer and scanner, and an internet connection.
How do I complete the NSW FSS Online course?
Completing the NSW FSS Online course is simple! Follow these 7 steps:
- When booking online, read the pre-enrolment information so you are aware of what is involved and what is required of you. This information is available on the specific course page for NSW FSS Online.
- Book in! Proceed with the booking by placing the NSW FSS Online course in your shopping cart and complete the booking form.
- Check your e-mail. You are automatically sent a confirmation e-mail containing the link and log-in details to begin.
- Get started! You can start immediately after booking or whenever you like. The NSW FSS Online course is self-paced and you can log in/out as many times as you please.
- Complete the assessment tasks. After reading through the course content, you are required to complete three assessments tasks: an online exam and two workplace assessments (written). The workplace assessments require you to monitor & record temperatures, create a kitchen cleaning checklist and conduct an internal kitchen audit, recording compliances & non-compliances.
- Upload your completed documents to the NSW FSS Online system. This is a matter of attaching the scanned documents to your system account, just like attaching documents to an e-mail.
- Receive your NSW FSS certificates! If you successfully complete the NSW FSS Online course by 2:00pm on any weekday, your submission will be marked on the same day and certificates issued by 4:30pm.
What certificates do I receive after completing the NSW FSS Online course?
After successfully completing the NSW FSS Online course, you will receive two certificates. The first is the Statement of Attainment for the two units of competency: Use hygienic practices for food safety SITXFSA101 and Participate in safe food handling practices SITXFSA201. The second is the NSW Food Authority certificate. This is the official certificate which must be visible in the workplace at all times and also reported to your local council and the NSW Food Authority for compliance purposes.
What if the NSW FSS Online course is not right for me?
If you do not meet the eligibility requirements for the NSW FSS Online course, there is the NSW FSS Classroom course available. The NSW FSS Classroom course is conducted over 8 hours (one day) in Sydney CBD. The two workplace assessments are conducted in a commercial workplace kitchen at the training location so you are not required to complete these at your workplace. The NSW FSS Classroom course is available on a monthly basis during the day on weekdays.
How do I book in to the NSW FSS course?
To book in, visit the ATS website www.australiantrainingsolutions.com.au and select the course (NSW FSS Online or NSW FSS Classroom) and proceed with the booking process. Alternatively, you can contact ATS by phone (02) 9286 3566, by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us in person at 602/143 York Street, Sydney NSW 2000 (directly across from the Queen Victoria Building, next to Town Hall Station).